Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rolling with it

Well, this morning saw our Nana Weller off to the airport headed back to Greensboro after a week long visit. We've been packing up the house like mad the last week or so, and, she's been extremely helpful in hanging with the little man while we deliberate whether or not to bring certain items with us to NC during the bubblewrapping and stowing of our property.

Over the course of the last week or so, Amy had the opportunity to do a little bit of work in the office in the evenings. That being said, I've had the chance to hang with Wyatt all alone for up to 6 hours (prior to Elaine showing up), and, the same but with Nana in the wings downstairs if I needed her. During this time, I've absolutely loved the bonding that Wyatt and I have been experiencing. Obviously with Amy out of the house completely, it was my responsibility to feed him bottles and give him 100% attention and love. While I attempt to do that anyway, when your partner is around it's easy to pass him around off and on so we both get a chance to do stuff. But, when it's just you...it's JUST YOU and you're on 100%. One thing I can say to all the full-time moms is that, while I've always admired and appreciated the dedication you have to raising your children as your job, now that I've stood in your shoes, I completely understand how flipping hard it is to do. For that, I am thankful to ALL of you! This is some seriously hard work. The naps. The bottles. The "keeping it interesting" play circuits. All of it is a labor of love, and, I thoroughly enjoyed it myself.

Wyatt usually has takes his cranky pills around 6:30 or so, and, often once again before it's time to go to sleep. The greatest thing I've been able to bond with him over is simply being there with him while he cries. When Amy's home, we'll usually give each other about 20-30 minutes, then, relieve the parent on duty. In these instances, it's just me, and, I really enjoy it. I hold him in my arms and talk to him the entire time...comforting him and letting him know that I am there and that it's ok if he wants to let it out. I'll just hang out and listen until he's done. Eventually, he finishes up and passes out in my arms, only to finish off the existing 1 or 2 oz of milk, or, just goes right down into the co-sleeper.

He's been such a trooper through this crazy time of transition and change, and has just rolled with it. Bottle feedings were NEVER an issue, and, last night Elaine even was able to give him one. It was pretty exciting to see because it kind of gave us even more of a picture of just how far he's come. It's quite a sight!
Nana get's the "nursing smile" usually reserved for Mom!

1 comment:

owen said...

How awesome to read of such special daddy/baby bonding. Keep soaking it up and enjoying each day...a new phase is always looming in the not-so-distant future, and we will look back and wonder where these times went! Keep enjoying your beautiful little family!