Thursday, August 26, 2010

V-Day

Well, yesterday was the day we'd been worried about for some time now...vaccination day. Our biggest concerns were obviously side effects and the types of issues the shots could potentially create, based on the info we've read.

The appointment started out as Wyatt's 2 month checkup, and, everything was great! He was in the 75th percentile for weight, which was a major concern for me since his reflux would kinda cause him to spit up most of what he'd just eaten. Luckily, the medicine has been working, and, any spit up we have is minimal with fewer and fewer episodes as well. Phew! His height was only in the 25th percentile, but we sense a growth spurt coming on. With both parents between 5'8 & 5'11, we know this little pinto bean is gonna sprout straight up!

After the doctor finished answering our questions, he walked out, and, we knew what was next. "The nurse will be in shortly" he said as he walked out, and, we definitely could feel the anxiety in the room building. The nurse walked in with a plastic tray that had 3 shot vaccines, and, 1 in oral suspension. She administered the oral first, and while Wyatt just kinda lay there, he had that perplexed look on his face like "Um...ok...this isn't that nasty medicine I get 2-3x a day, and, it definitely AIN'T the boob...sup with that?!". The nurse then asked us to "rotate" him 90 degrees so his body was facing her, and then she quickly put these GIGANTIC (I mean really...he's an infant...does it need to be so big?!?!) needles into his legs, 3 times. I'm not sure what order they went in, but, the first one really pissed him off, and, before he knew it, all 3 were done. I, of course, looked, and, watched his face immediately turn red and his legs start to kick like crazy. Ugh...I also started to cry a little because it was so heartbreaking to hear. These cries were distinctly different than his hunger or reflux cries, and, I'm pretty sure that's what did it to me.

As soon as the nurse pulled the third needle out of his leg, Amy immediately grabbed him off the table and was consoling him with as much love as humanly possible. You could feel how upset he was, but, also just how much Amy was helping him to calm down...it was pretty cool. He calmed down literally 2 minutes later, and, Amy gave him a bit to eat which really hit the nail on the head for him. He promptly fell asleep on her lap, and, we gently loaded him into the car seat to take home. I sat and ate lunch with him while Amy & Elaine went to the store really quickly, and, he slowly woke up from his slumber. I was very quick to take him out of the car seat and give him a bunch of hugs & kisses in case he had a memory of what had happened shortly before, but, luckily he just was looking around as normal...taking everything in. Then...he went ahead and did this:
Yep....he smiled at me. So, of course I smiled back, welled up with tears, said the loudest "awwwwww" I'd ever spoken, and, promptly kissed him a million times on his little forehead. Throughout the rest of the day, he pretty much slept it off like a huge hangover. However, later in the day & evening, he definitely wasn't feeling well. We checked his temp, and, he had a very low grade fever. His cries though, were again different than all other cries, and you could feel how much pain he was feeling. You could tell his body was working triple overtime to deal with what was put in him, and, it wasn't making him very happy. So, of course, the loving arms of Mom, Dad, and, ESPECIALLY his Nana were more than happy to work overtime holding him closely and soothing him.We poured so much love onto this little kiddo, and eventually all went to sleep.

So far today, things seem to be ok. I chatted with Amy a bit, and, he seems to be returning to normal. I spoke with him for a few this morning before I left, and, he told me that he won't hold it against us and get a tattoo out of rebellion when he gets older.

2 comments:

Natalie Winslow said...

That first vaccination visit is the hardest! Oh, I still get teary thinking about that. Good work, mom and dad, on consoling the little guy! And I can't believe how beautiful that baby is, and how much he's grown since I saw you all last.

Rita Braun said...

a&g, luv your posts. entertaining, soulful, fun to read. unlike the small government-ese lingo i've been stumbling over for a project i'm working on.

post more! post often.

love and hugs. rita